What is CDETB Music Centre

City of Dublin ETB Music Centre is a music school based in Kylemore College, Ballyfermot. It has been in existence since 1981 and currently has a roster of 35 teachers and 770 Music students.


How do I enrol for Kylemore College?
Enrolment is by application form, which is available online or from the music centre (phone: 623 9187). Once an application is received it remains on a waiting list until the next enrolment session, which is normally during the early summer.  Students are then contacted re possible times, days and teachers. Once a date is agreed, the fee is paid and students start the following September.

There are long waiting times for some instruments, particularly guitar, voice and piano. Students who are waiting for an instrumental place can enrol separately for a place in a theory class. These students are then prioritised for one to one enrolment the following year.

Can I enrol at any time?
No, re-enrolment/enrolment generally occurs once a year, between May and September. We do not enrol students on a rolling basis.

Can I enrol for more than one instrument?

How are fees paid?
Fees are paid in full when enrolling/re-enrolling. There is no provision for partial payment or family discounts.

Do I have to re-apply every year?
Current students are issued with re-enrolment documents after Easter each year. They can discuss the time and day with the teacher when they are given the re-enrolment documents. Re-enrolments are not accepted after the closing date. Any student who misses the closing date must re-apply.

Students on the waiting lists need not re-apply.  We keep your name on our waiting lists until a suitable place arises.


What instruments do you offer?
Our school offers piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, flute, recorder, saxophone, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, harp, guitar, drums, percussion and voice.

What styles do you do?
There is a general music education approach for all beginners. After that, students can diversify through tuition in classical, jazz, popular and traditional as appropriate to the instrument. We would encourage students to discuss the programme with the teacher in advance.

What is the distinction between keyboard and piano?
The teachers in CDETB Music Centre are piano teachers. We do not have provision for teaching keyboards (i.e. electrically operated piano-type instruments). Students with keyboards may be accepted for enrolment however, once they are clear about the distinctions between pianos and keyboards. Keyboards may be acceptable as starter instruments but we would emphasise that to ensure progression, a piano is more appropriate.

Do I have to have an instrument?
At your first meeting with the teacher, you can ask about suitable instruments. Instruments can be purchased in advance but we would recommend that you get expert advice before you buy.


What examinations do you offer?
Our school does practical and theory exams administered by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, which is a UK based exam body. Most of our students would do one theory and one practical exam a year.

Do I have to do exams?
No, students can agree a different approach with their teacher. Please bear in mind however that our teachers would still be keen that progress be made!


What ensembles do you have?
The Music Centre has the following ensembles: Orchestra, String Ensemble, Harp ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Recorder ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Junior Choir, Glee Club, Junior Songwriters, Early Music Ensemble,  Brass Ensemble.

What extra curricular work do you do?
Our ensembles perform regularly, from small events to large scale concerts in the National Concert Hall and Helix. Our ensembles have travelled to represent the College in Prague, Edinburgh and Milan.


Why do theory?
The theory place is included in the fee. Students who study theory learn about the elements of music without the added complication of playing an instrument at the same time so it is an invaluable learning support. It is difficult to make progress at the higher grades without doing theory.

Do I have to do theory?
We would encourage all our students to do theory to maximise their potential as musicians.

Junior and Leaving Cert

Do you offer Junior and Leaving Cert music?
Kylemore College provides junior and leaving cert music classes as part of its adult education programme. There is a separate enrolment procedure and fee for this. Enrolments are taken in late August and early September.

Can I sit the exam in Kylemore?
Students who study music for state exams in Kylemore College should notify the exam secretary in their own school. They are entered through their own school and do practicals and the written exam in their own school. Kylemore College does not facilitate practical exams.


Who can I complain to?
Any problems are initially referred to the Music Office at 623 9187. After that, City of Dublin ETB has a detailed complaints procedure in place.